Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Monday Mashup: Phi Theta Kappa Induction

This Monday Mashup is brought to you on a Tuesday in honor of my little sister getting inducted into Phi Theta Kappa!

The photo from 2012 is from my Phi Theta Kappa Induction. If we are rolling with the fact that my little sister looks like my father (the guy directly below her in the other picture), then these two pictures are quite similar! I was one of those rare (but hopefully not-so-rare now) community college students who had heard about, and really wanted to join, Phi Theta Kappa before I received my letter. I will be ever thankful that I had the opportunity to join and call myself a Phi Theta Kappan.

The photo from 2015 was just recently taken last week when my little sister (currently a Junior in High School) was inducted into Phi Theta Kappa. Fortunately, for her, she does not even look as much of a nerd as I did when I joined! She's also, obviously, grown a bit. In 2012, she was about my height. Now, she is about my mom's height. Craziness, I tell you. Craziness.

Phi Theta Kappa is the International Honor Society for community colleges. If anything is working hard to remove the poor stigma that Community Colleges get and bringing thousands of community college students from various backgrounds together, it is this organization.

Phi Theta Kappa's mission is:

"To recognize and encourage scholarship among two-year college students. To achieve this purpose, Phi Theta Kappa shall provide opportunity for the development of leadership and service, for an intellectual climate for exchange of ideas and ideals, for lively fellowship for scholars, and for stimulation of interest in continuing academic excellence."

I was lucky enough to be actively involved in this organization through my previous college's chapter for almost two years. Now, my little sister, who has been an active "member" ever since she went along with me to events, can do her own thing with the organization as an official member! I know she is planning to venture to Texas with our chapter in April for Phi Theta Kappa's annual NerdNation. I can't wait to see where this organization takes her!


[So the idea behind a "Monday Mashup" is that I have many pictures that are similar to other pictures, so I'd like to get a chance to share them "mashed" together. Enjoy and feel free to share your mashups.]